Friday 12 June 2020

Storing Those Scraps!


Hi there

I think anyone that is a crafter will agree that no matter how hard we try, we end up with countless off-cuts and scraps left from our projects.  

I am certainly guilty of nearly always reaching for a fresh piece of cardstock from my organised stash instead of using up the perfectly good smaller pieces, and the mountain of these leftovers was starting to grow.

So I gathered together the box and carrier bag that these were living in and spent a couple of hours sorting through them and organising them into some logical and easy to grab storage.

I had some A5 plastic zip wallets which I had picked up previously from a couple of stores as I thought they would prove to be useful at some point, and they were perfect for this.  Any off-cuts which were larger than A5 I placed back in my main cardstock storage.


I had four of these reinforced plastic zip wallets which I picked up some time ago at The Range (I can't see them on the website but they were in store in the office stationery section).

So I used these four wallets for: Blues, Greens, Purples/Lilacs and Reds/Pinks

And so that each can be identified easily from my cupboard I tied co-ordinating pieces of ribbon to the tabs already on these...


I also had some different plastic wallets, with plastic slide-type zips, which I had previously bought from WH Smith (a stationery/book store here in the UK).  These aren't as sturdy and probably not as hardwearing so I used these for the colours of which I have fewer scraps.

So in these I am storing: Yellow/Oranges, Metallic/Glitter, Black/Neutrals, Vellum/Acetate


These don't have ribbon tabs so I punched holes in the side and tied the identifying ribbons to those...


I had tonnes of white and cream cardstock scraps so these are now altogether in a larger A4 zip wallet...


I also had countless strips of white trimmings so these now live in a spare tin so whenever I need a sentiment strip I don't need to even go to my white scraps wallet, I'll just use these....and it appears these could last a lifetime!


I feel so much better for sorting all these out, it's a job that needed doing for a couple of years, and I hope you find this useful.

5 comments:

  1. great idea and so glad you shared, we always end up with so many scraps and its sad to just cast aside.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant! Something I badly need to do......I'm as guilty as you are, I reach for a fresh piece of card every time then toss the snippets in a drawer! Much better to have them stored in colour order x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've done a great job - very organised!
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing what you have done. I did follow this rule and found that I had stashed the recycled folders at the bottom of my craft cupboard, and that was it. I never bothered to take them out. I will try and do what you did. Super idea.

    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always so interesting to see how other crafters store their bits and pieces! I use the same system as you for card stock offcuts, which I store with my complete sheets so I use them first. I'm taking heed of your white trimmings tin though and will be implementing something similar! Vicky x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting today. I would love for you to leave some feedback, your comments are always appreciated.

In line with Data Protection legislation (GDPR), by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...