Saturday 14 May 2016

Less Is More Week 276

Hi there

It's a new challenge week over at Less is More and I can see lots of fist pumps coming up as it's One Layer week!  Or perhaps not, more like heads in hands! lol  Our theme this week is...


At Sea
Please check out the one layer guidelines if you're unsure, here.


I must admit my creative mojo floated off somewhere this week and the first two cards I made I wasn't overly happy with so I left it another day and managed to create another which I prefer.  I'll share them all with you anyhow.


Here's the last one I made which I was happier with, although the first attempt ended up in the bin as I ruined it right at the end!


There were lots of steps to create this one.  I started by masking to leave the horizontal panel and blended firstly with a light green Distress Ink.  I then blasted with my heat gun to make sure the ink was dry, brushed my powder tool over to remove any static and then stamped the ropes in VersaMark.  I then removed the masks before heating embossing with clear powder.  I then replaced the masks and repeated the process, this time with a darker green ink which the rope images resisted, letting the lighter green show though.  I then repeated by stamping the wheels and clear embossing these also.  Then came a teal colour before stamping and embossing the anchors, and then I finished off with a dark blue ink.  The main thing to remember with this technique is to make sure your ink is dry at each step and you remove any static, otherwise you'll get embossing powder over your whole panel!  A simple sentiment finished off the card.

Materials used:

  • Stamps: Clear Impressions - Sea Breeze (free with a magazine); Clearly Besotted - Make a Wish
  • Ink: Distress Ink: Peeled Paint, Pine Needles, Mermaid Lagoon, Chipped Sapphire; VersaMark; Memento - Tuxedo Black
  • Embossing Powder: Rubber Stampede - Clear

Challenge entries:
Fusion - Port O' Call Polaroid (I went with the nautical theme of the photo)



This next card I was originally going to share over at the LIM post before I made the one above.  Good job I made another as teamie, Sarah G, has created a fabulous card with the exact same layout and colours!  What goes on in our minds, Sarah?! :D


More masking on this card as well!  I started by stamping the speedboat and then created a mask over it.  I also cut an oval aperture and used this as a mask to blend my sky and sea in two tones of blue Distress Ink.  I then roughly covered up the top half of the oval and used the inks mixed with water and splattered to create the spray behind the boat.  I also used a few splatters of just water which lifted some of the ink away to create the paler splatters.  I removed all the masks, stamped the sentiment, added minimal colour to the boat with some colouring pencils and then added Glossy Accents to the screen on the boat.

Materials used:

  • Stamps: Stampin' Up - Need for Speed; Happy Little Stampers - Mix Mash
  • Ink: Memento - Tuxedo Black; Distress Ink - Tumbled Glass, Salty Ocean
  • Die: Spellbinders Nestabilities - Classic Ovals
  • Pencils: Derwent - Coloursoft
  • Accents: Glossy Accents

Challenge entries:

Just Add Ink - Challenge #311 - Masking
The Male Room - Challenge #35 - Transport



I loved the idea I had for the next card but it didn't really translate as I wanted it to.  It's still fun and cute so I thought I'd share it anyway!



I started by stamping the turtle in waterproof ink as I knew I'd be colouring using water later.  I then masked him off and blended Distress Inks through two different stencils, shifting them slightly to create the layered waves and fill in the white areas.  The wavy dots don't really work but hey ho, I went with it anyway! I then removed the mask and replaced just a mask to cover his face, neck and left front leg before stamping the umbrella so the shade was behind him but I wanted him to be holding it (as turtles do!)  I then finished by water colouring him with my Zig pens and stamping the sentiment below.

Materials used:

  • Stamps: Clearly Besotted - Cool Dude; Mama Elephant - Up and Away
  • Ink: Archival - Jet Black; Distress Ink - Tumbled Glass, Evergreen Bough, Broken China, Chipped Sapphire
  • Stencils: Dutch Doobadoo - Wavy Stripes; MFT - Waves
  • Coloured with Zig Clean Color Real Brush pens

Challenge entry:

Sunday Stamps - Challenge #126 - Create a Scene with a Sketch



Sorry for the long post, if you're still with me, thanks for getting through all that.  I like to explain how I make my cards and even though these look simple, one layer cards often have a lot more steps to create.

Please pop over to visit my teamies who have worked hard to create some great cards this week.  We know you lovely LIMettes won't let us down and hope to see you in the gallery!



32 comments:

  1. I love the gradient look you achieved on your first card. I can see why this card made you happiest even if your other cards are wonderful too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fab selection of cards Anita, with such a variety of techniques... that first one really is a stunner!
    Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous use of Masking Neets. Loving all of your designs and the crisp white bases. Thanks for joining us at Just Add Ink.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the deluxe embossing on your first card, Anita - I couldn't work out what you had done until I read the different steps. Will have to give that a go as it looks great! Love your speedboat....sorry for coming up with the same design, just typical :) Your smiley turtle really made me smile. You have combined the stamps and stencils so cleverly. Lots of inspiration this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are all great cards, Anita (and all involved masking)! Love your CAS entry for Just Add Ink this week; thanks for joining us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. For not having much in your stash you sure created some wonderful cards, Anita. I'd totally forgotten about that first technique and will make note of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome cards! Love your little turtle floating along with his umbrella. Great colors and design! Thanks for joining us at Sunday Stamps, hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super selection of CAS cards to get the LIM challenge inspiration going

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your first card is fantastic Anita, well worth the effort that went into making it. Haven't tried that technique before, but I will now you've shared how to do it! Your middle card is a fab masculine card, and your turtle is such a sweetie too.
    Have a great week.
    Sharon xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Three beautiful cards Anita! I love how you've used masking and blending to give such gorgeous colour effects. They're all well worth the effort and fab OLC examples. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You put a lot of effort and talent into these terrific cards.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great techniques in all of these cards Anita, I love the 1st one, the mix of colours looks fantastic, Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  13. All cute cards - All great ways to use masking - I love the simplicity of them and the use of great colours. Chantell JAI

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous selection of card!
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  15. You've been busy creating terrific inspiration cards! Just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, you're right the less is more and beautiful. I love this CAS projects. Thank you for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge! Hugs, Marzena

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well you know I just love all of these but that first one with the murky sea you've blended is classic, clever and FANTASTIC. Obviously love the boat - can just see myself on that eh! and you can't beat the cute turtle. Hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  18. hello Anita! these are both adorable cards! I am so glad you played along with us at
    sunday stamps!


    blog-paperie blooms
    ig-2klines

    sparkle & shine, kindness *~*

    ReplyDelete
  19. Three great cards, Anita! Love the heat embossing and colors on the first card!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fantastic single-layer design ... so glad you joined us at Fusion Card Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Really great cards, but I adore the one that you finally went with. It's incredibly effective and gorgeous. Thanks for giving the details on how you did it also. Liz

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a fab set of cards Anita, I love your 'sea' for the turtle x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great cards! Thanks for joining us at Fusion!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a fabulous selection of cards! I just love the first one with the shades of green and sea elements. And the powerboat on the second card is just perfect for our transport theme. Love the little guy in his brolly too. Thanks so much for playing along with us at The Male Room, Deborah. DT.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, what a gorgeous trip of cards! I think the super cute little turtle is my fav. Thanks for sharing with us at Just Add Ink.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such a cute turtle in some awesome looking waves! What a wonderful water scene you created for him! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Sunday Stamps!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love them all! I need to try the embossing over colour technique again - haven't done that for years, and it's so effective.
    Thank you for leaving the love on my entry! xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Three fab cards Anita, love them all but especially the motorboat speeding through the waves, lovely shiny windowscreen!! :D x

    ReplyDelete
  29. I totally LOVE anything Nautical, but this REALLY is AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Super CAS card for TMR challenge and the motor boat seems to be powering off the front, thanks to your clever positioning. Thanks for joining us
    Louise x

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm a big fan of your CAS designs! Thanks for joining us at the Fusion challenge! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting today. I would love for you to leave some feedback, your comments are always appreciated.

In line with Data Protection legislation (GDPR), by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...